Sunday, October 26, 2014

ADHD: Living and Learning Through Tragedy

Barbara's sons, Chris (left) and Greg (right)


by Barbara Mulloy-Robbins


Not long ago I attended a book fair. As an author, one of the more popular questions asked was, “What will I learn from your book?”  So, in greater detail, I am going to answer that question right here with this post. 

Readers will learn that ADHD is not some new excuse for a child’s misbehavior. This diagnosed brain disorder has been around for a long time. As much as ADHD can benefit a child’s creative thought process and abilities, as demonstrated by countless successful adults who had learned to use it to their advantage, there will always be the threat that the child will choose a far more slippery slope in order to cope with ADHD when they choose to self-medicate with alcohol and illicit drugs.

When I think about those who read my book, they will learn about the  path that my both my sons chose, as readers follow along with the actions I constantly took to try to help them. I did not stop trying.  Rehab didn’t help, and I eventually had to stop my co-dependent behavior. However, readers will also see another side of the coin; how I didn’t stop living my life and reaching for my goals and realizing my dreams, and managing to keep my faith throughout our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment